Discord is one of the most preferred VOIP application among gamers. And the popularity of the platform always kept on growing as it is easy to access application to join multiplayer gaming sessions. However, since last regular update users are reporting some microphone glitches along with an error message that says “Discord Mic Not Working”. The discord mic not working error message is popping up on the user’s screen because the development team always remain keen to introduce some big updates along with a few bug fix.
Therefore, if you have recently installed the updated version of Discord, then there may be possibilities that you might face some issues with the mic. Else, it can also happen due to many other external or technical factors.
How to Fix Discord Mic Not Working Error?
For anyone, it would be very irritating if you have Discord Nitro and you’re about to start an exciting multiplayer or online streaming session. Suddenly a message appears on the screen “The Discord Mic not work.” At this moment, any gamer can become cranky but don’t lose your horses, as this error can be solved by following some easy steps. However, this problem doesn’t have any “works-for-all” fix to make it able to pick up your microphone again. As per the news, this issue originated from many separate locations. Thus, to fix the discord mic not working error, a user might need to perform numerous possible fixes before discovering a final solution.
There are several tips and tricks to solve the discord mic not working issues, let’s have take a look at all of them.
Method 1: Allow Discord to Use Your Microphone to Fix Discord Mic Not Working
Before altering your account settings, always make it sure that the Discord has all the required access to use your microphone. To do this, follow the following steps in Windows OS.
#Steps for Windows Users
- Go to Windows Settings > Privacy.
- Below the App Permissions, find the Microphone settings in the sidebar menu.
At this screen, make sure that the button to grant access to microphone is turned on.
#Steps for For macOS Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave users:
- Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences.
- Now go to security and privacy tab and select the Privacy tab from the top menu.
- Choose Microphone settings from the left sidebar menu.
- Upon getting on this page, confirm that you have given microphone access to Discord app.
If the app has all the required permissions, and still the discord mic not working. Then under these circumstances, you might need to check your input and output devices.
Method 2: Log Out and Re-login to Solve Discord Mic Not Working Error
Before you spend your time in performing this method, we suggest you to confirm that your headphones are in proper working condition. If they are fine, then you can continue following this method. In a few cases, a quick logout and login after a quick rebooting of the app do the trick. Here’s how you can perform it on the desktop version:
- Find the User Settings option on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit the lot out button. Upon clicking, a confirmation window will appear on the screen, click logout again.
Once you are logged out, restart the discord app and re-login with your credentials.
Quick Note:- By performing this method, you will surely fix the issues with the software, but in some cases, the mic will stop working randomly again. Thus, we recommend you to continue following the described methods in this article.
Method 3: Choose the Right Input and Output Devices to Fix Discord Mic Not Working Error
Many of us use an external mic for live streaming and multiplayer sessions. But in multiple scenarios, we don’t set that device as default. Hence, to set your external mic as the default input device, follow the steps listed below:
- Go to the Discord Settings page (which you can find at the left bottom corner of the screen.
- In the settings tab, locate the Voice & Video setting from the left-hand side options.
- After reaching this screen, verify that under the Input Device tab you’ve chosen your preferred microphone instead of the default.
- Also, turn up the input and output volumes before a mic test by hitting the Let’s Check button.
After performing this method, the mic bug should be fixed. Nevertheless, if the problem persists, then you might need to reset the voice settings entirely. To know those steps, continue reading.
Method 4: Reset the Voice Settings to Fix Discord Mic Not Working Error
- Click on the gear icon to open the user’s settings.
- From the left sidebar, choose and select Voice & Video.
- In the side menu section, scroll until you a Reset Voice Settings button. Now click on it.
While doing these actions, bear in mind that resetting these voice settings will also delete/reset your any customised changes which you have made so far.
To know if everything working fine or not, scroll up and click on Let’s Check button which you can find under the Mic Test.
Method 5: Enable Automatic Input Sensitivity
If none of the above-mentioned methods worked for you, then it may be possible that discord isn’t identifying the mic as the Automatic Input Sensitivity feature is turned off. If input sensitivity is disabled, then the system prefers to set the manual sensitivity bar to a minimum by default. Which my create some bugs and owing to that discord isn’t able to detect the mic.
Furthermore, in worst cases the automatic feature also becomes buggy. Therefore, if the feature is already enabled and still you can’t use the mic, then you might need to try the manual settings once.
- Open the Discord’s user setting.
- Go to the Voice & Video under App Settings in the sidebar menu.
- Keep scrolling until you find the Input Sensitivity settings. Now check whether the Automatically determine Input Sensitivity function is set to on or off.
- If by default it is off, then turn it on and check if now discord is detecting the mic input or not. If it detects any voice inputs, then you can see it under the setting in a bar which will show you a bright green solid flash.
For all those users, who want to use manual settings can disable the feature. And position the slider anywhere in the middle of the bar. If you notice that slider is moving while you talk then the bug is fixed.
Method 6: Changing the Voice Input Mode to Push to Talk
Till now if any of the options didn’t work for you, then let’s try changing the voice input mode from Voice Activity to Push-to-Talk.
- Choose Voice & Video from the left sidebar.
- After selecting the Voice & Video, you’ll see the input mode along with the other two options: Voice Activity and Push to Talk.
- tick the box right next to Push to Talk. (see the image below)
In this method, you’ll need to assign a key to activate the mic whenever you want to use it. To assign a key, head to the shortcut record a keybind and press your desired key.
Once you save all the changes, join a voice channel and test it out. You will take some time to become habitual for this feature. But it certainly solves all your concerns with mic.